Being followed is nerve-wracking. When you are alone and feel threatened, it is frightening. For those people that spend much of their time alone, the risk being followed is even greater There are some tips that you can employ in order to safely get away from someone who is following you.
Tips for Ditching Someone who is Following You
If you think you are being followed, try these tips to get away safely:
- Keep calm and act natural. Once you are sure you are being followed, do not make any sudden changes like running away immediately or yelling out.
- Redirect yourself to some place where there are more people. Think of the closest area to you that will be full of people – a restaurant or store – and go there.
- Don’t let the person following you know that you’ve noticed them. If they know that they have been noticed, this could provoke them.
- If it is nighttime, make sure you head to a well-lit area. Darker areas will give more opportunities for your follower to attack.
- Use your cell phone to call for help or text someone to let them know that you are in danger. Calling someone and talking on the phone can also discourage someone from following you.
- Do not, under any circumstance, go into your home if you are being followed. This is probably the most important tip of all of them. Leading a stalker to your home is extremely dangerous.
See what to do if you’re being followed here:
Stalkers Aren’t Just for Celebrities
Anyone can be followed for a myriad of reasons – you don’t have to be well-known to have a stalker. If you often travel alone, it is important to take precautions like mixing up your routines and paying attention to your surroundings at all times. Sometimes, paying attention to the little things that we do can help save our lives.