Lots of people have their own herb gardens these days and drying out herbs for later use can be a time-consuming process. If you are searching for a simple and quick way to transform your fresh herbs into dried herbs, you can use your microwave. It’s actually better to dry your fresh herbs out in a microwave because it preserves their flavor and color better than other methods.
Drying Out Your Herbs
After you’ve harvested and trimmed your herb garden and you have your herbs ready to process, you can begin the steps to dry your herbs out in the microwave.
- Grab a microwave-safe plate and line it with 2 layers of paper towels.
- Pick the leaves off of your herb and spread them around on the paper towel.
- Place another paper towel on top of the herbs, then place them into the microwave.
- Thicker herbs should be heated for 1 minute followed by 20 second intervals until they are dried. More delicate herbs should be heated for 40 seconds followed by 20 second intervals until they are dried.
- If you cannot tell if your herbs are dried completely, bend them. Dried herbs will crumble when they are bent.
Whenever you’ve finished drying your herbs, you can place them into the containers you are using to store them. You have the option of crushing them into powder or storing them as is.
See how to dry your herbs out in a microwave here:
This method of drying out herbs is so simple that anyone can do it. It allows you to make your own custom spice mixes and spice rubs, which will make you incredibly popular at barbeques. Whether you grow your own fresh herbs or buy them from the store, this method is the best one to use to dry them.